Surfshark for Apple TV
“Why can't I watch Ted Lasso on Apple TV?”
You're not alone. This popular comedy is available on Apple TV+, but not everyone can access it through their Apple TV streaming device. Read on to find out how to set up Surfshark on Apple TV and unlock your favorite shows.
Why You Need a VPN for Apple TV
Apple TV is one of the most successful streaming devices in the market. Connecting it to any TV using an HDMI cable gives you access to streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video. It also gives you access to a huge variety of shows and movies on iTunes.
Unfortunately iTunes content varies greatly from country to country. You may be able to watch Ted Lasso in the US but if you travel to another country you may find that your access is restricted. This despite the fact that your iTunes account is fully paid and up to date.
Unfortunately, iTunes content varies significantly from country to country. For example, you may be able to watch Ted Lasso in the US, but you may find that your access is restricted if you travel to another country. This despite the fact that your iTunes account is fully paid and up to date.
It happens because of geo-restrictions. Streaming companies choose what content is available where. They do this because there are no financial payoffs for airing certain content in some regions – there aren't enough viewers to justify the expense. Some countries also have restrictions on the kind of content streaming companies can air.
So, while your Apple TV box is a portable and handy little device that you can take abroad when you travel, it doesn't automatically mean that you'll get access to all the shows and movies you're able to watch at home.
Geo-blocking doesn't mean that you have to miss out on your favorite shows. If you set up Surfshark on Apple TV you'll have access to all the shows you want from anywhere.
Benefits of Using a VPN for Apple TV
Besides giving you access to shows and movies that you would otherwise be unable to watch, there are other benefits of connecting Apple TV through a VPN provider:
- A VPN provides you with online privacy. When you connect a streaming device through a VPN no one can see what you are streaming or when you stream it. The same goes for all your online activity. VPNs do this by encrypting your data. They also create a protected tunnel for your data. In addition to that, every time you log on through a VPN you are allocated a random IP address, so no one can tell where you are located.
- You can choose the VPN server you want to log in through, giving the streaming company the impression that you are in a non-geo-restricted region. So if, for example, you want to watch an Apple TV show that's only available in the US, you can log on through a US server, and it will appear as if that is your actual location. In other words, a VPN connection allows you to bypass local censorship.
- A VPN protects your data. You can do online financial transactions without worrying that your credit card details will fall into the wrong hands. You are also able to visit any site you want in complete privacy. This is a huge advantage for those who live in countries that suffer from government censorship.
What Makes a Great Apple TV VPN?
There are numerous VPNs in the market, but not all of them are good for connecting to Apple TV. The other thing to keep in mind is that Apple TV doesn't support VPN connections. In fact, it actively seeks them out so that it can block them.
Before you choose a VPN for Apple TV, here's what you should check:
- It should be fast. You can expect some loss of speed each time you connect through a VPN, so it makes sense to choose one that's fast to begin with. The best VPN is one that supports HD and 4K streams.
- A good VPN has a wide server network. Look for one that has servers located in countries where Apple TV is supported.
- Setting up a VPN for Apple TV is a bit of a fiddly process, so choose a VPN with an easy user interface, which is easy to connect and provides excellent customer support.
- Make sure that it comes with the latest by way of encryption and security. It shouldn't log user details and should not track the sites that users visit.
Why Choose Surfshark for Apple TV?
Because it comes with all the above and more, Surfshark is one of the best VPNs in the market. It uses the latest encryption technologies, has thousands of servers, provides good connection speeds and is one of the most affordable VPNs in the market.
Surfshark comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out and see whether it works for your Apple TV needs.
How to Configure Surfshark for Apple TV
There are three ways to set up Surfshark on Apple TV:
- Via a router
This is probably the easiest way to get Surfshark to work for Apple TV. There are two ways to go about it. First, you can buy a router that's already pre-configured with Surfshark. It will cost you more, but it saves you the setup process.
If you don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a pre-configured router, you can buy a router, get a Surfshark connection and then follow these steps. (Not all routers are designed to work with VPNs, so do your homework before buying).
This method assumes that you have an active Surfshark subscription. If not, click here for the latest deals.
- Open the router configuration panel by typing its IP address in your browser. If you don't know what it is, you can find it by going to your computer's main menu, clicking on Start, and in the window that appears, type in “ipconfig”. Press enter to see the router's IP address.
- Go to the “Advanced Settings” on the router. Click on the VPN Client tab. The location of this tab may change depending on the type of router you have. If you don't find this tab, your router isn't configured to work with a VPN. You can make it compatible by installing firmware.
- Follow the instructions provided within the tab. They differ for different routers. Click on the right tab for your router and follow the steps.
- Double-check that your VPN is connected. You can do this by typing “what is my IP”. It will show a different IP address from your real one.
- If you aren't connected, go back and do the process again; only this time make sure to log into Surfshark first.
2. Via a virtual hotspot
For this you need a laptop that's running on Windows 10 as it can create a virtual hotspot that connects to other devices. If you turn on the hotspot when you're logged on through Surfshark, all connected devices enjoy the VPN connection. Here's how to connect:
- On your Windows 10 laptop, click on “Settings” and then “Network and Internet” and then “Mobile Hotspot”.
- Turn on the “Mobile Hotspot” button.
- Go back to “Settings” and click on “Network and Internet,” and then click on “Change Adapter Options”.
- You'll see the Surfshark adapter. Right-click on it and choose “Properties”.
- You'll see a tab that says “Sharing”. Next, click on “Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection“.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Select the home networking connection that you've just created.
- The virtual hotspot is ready to be shared on Apple TV. So long as you connect Apple TV through the laptop, the connection passes through Surfshark servers and you can unblock whatever shows and movies you want to watch.
3. Via a Surfshark smart DNS service
- First, you need to find your smart DNS. You should have an active Surfshark connection. On the Surfshark website, find the Smart DNS page. You need to be logged in to do this.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Activate Smart DNS” button. Make sure you're not connected to the VPN; to activate smart DNS, your real address must be visible.
- You will receive an email address confirming that the smart DNS has been activated successfully. You'll also see two DNS server addresses. Note them somewhere because you'll need them later.
- Now you need to set up the smart DNS on Apple TV. On the Apple TV screen, click “Settings”.
- On the screen that appears click on “Network”. Another screen comes up. On this, click “Wi-Fi”. Under that you'll see “Home Network”. Click on it.
- Next, click “Configure DNS”. It shows up as “Automatic”. You need to change that to “Manual”.
- Enter one of the smart DNS server addresses that you received – it doesn't matter which. Click “Done”.
- Restart Apple TV to apply the changes. To do this, go back to “Settings”, click on “System” and then on “Restart”.
- You have configured the smart DNS and you can now stream content through your Apple TV box from anywhere.
How to Use Surfshark for Apple TV
The most important thing is that you understand how to set up Surfshark VPN on Apple TV. Once you set it up you don't need to repeat (unless you lose the settings, of course).
Each time you want to connect to Apple TV, turn Surfshark on and choose your preferred server. You can then visit the Apple TV website and select a show or movie to watch.
- Which VPNs work for Apple TV?
There are three known for smooth streaming with no buffering issues: you can use a NordVPN Apple TV or ExpressVPN Apple TV connection, and of course, Surfshark VPN. IPVanish, VyprVPN and PrivateVPN also work, but with limited success.
- Is my Apple TV region locked?
If you try to connect to Apple TV and you get an error like If you try to connect to Apple TV and you get an error like “This video isn't currently available to watch in the country or region you are currently in” or something similar, it means that Apple TV is locked in your region.
You can get around the geoblock by installing Surfshark VPN or another VPN that helps you bypass restrictions. or something similar, it means that Apple TV is locked in your region.
You can get around the geoblock by installing Surfshark VPN or another VPN that helps you bypass restrictions.
- Is Apple TV worth it?
Apple TV has partnered with many TV manufacturers, and many sets now come with Apple TV's best features already included.
However, there are still several reasons why it makes sense to own an Apple TV streaming box. It allows you to enjoy a multi-user experience, you have access to the gaming platform and the box is portable.
It's really up to you to decide whether you need an Apple TV streaming device. If your TV comes with access to iTunes, you can decide if you'll be better served by a streaming device that has access to other platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
- Is there a free VPN for Apple TV?
Some VPNs offer a free option that unblocks Apple TV. Some VPNs are completely free. However, always remember that they come with limitations. Most of them are slow and you can expect buffering issues.
Your security is also at risk. Many free VPNs collect user details and sell them to third parties, and they don't use state-of-the-art encryption methods to keep your traffic from prying eyes.
The best VPNs for Apple TV aren't costly. They charge a few dollars a month and do exactly what a VPN should do. Surfshark VPN, for example, has some of the best deals in the market and offers maximum protection while helping you bypass geoblocks for Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more.
You can set up and use Surfshark on Apple TV using the steps outlined in this post. It is a little complicated, so don't feel discouraged if you get stuck. You can call the Surfshark VPN support team, and one of their technicians will walk you through the process.