How Does NordVPN Work?
NordVPN has been around since 2012 and is one of the five members of the VPN Trust Initiative. It is the chosen VPN for hundreds of thousands of users because it uses the best security protocols, is fast, and is excellent for unblocking Netflix and torrenting. But how does NordVPN work?
This is not a question that many users concern themselves with. As long as they install the software and it provides the promised anonymity, they are happy to use it without probing its inner workings.
If you are reading this, you may want to find out how NordVPN works so that you can understand how it protects your devices. Having some background knowledge into the workings of a VPN comes in handy when you need to troubleshoot, or when you want to understand exactly what features are available and what they can do for you.
Read on to find out how NordVPN works
When most people need to go online they don't stop to think about security. In 2018, PC Mag polled 1,000 respondents about whether or not they use a VPN. To their surprise, only 29% had ever used one. The rest didn't think the risk serious enough to warrant investment in online security software.
Interestingly, most people think that the internet isn't safe. They know that their information can be stolen, they can be tracked and even reported by their ISPs for downloading copyrighted content but they still won't invest in a VPN.
It only costs a few dollars a month to invest in software like NordVPN, and it will ensure that you are secure at all times, on all your devices.
A VPN is simply a method of connecting computer networks within a virtual system that has top-notch security protocols.
When you buy, download and install one, you become part of the secure network. All data that comes from your computer and to your computer is encrypted using a special unique key that is available only within this network.
One of the things that NordVPN will do is assign you a different IP address every time you go online. An IP address is unique, and each device has one. Think of it as your computer's home address. Whenever you are online without a VPN anyone whose interested can see your address, and they can track you with it.
With NordVPN, each time you are assigned a random address, and no one can tell where you are or even what part of the world you are in.
VPNs like NordVPN also use several different protocols to secure data coming to and from your computer. Think about every time you input credit card information to buy something online. Your data is out there, and any malicious person can steal it for their own purposes. This should be of concern to you if you regularly log onto public Wi-Fi.
With a VPN, your data is scrambled, so even if intercepted, no one knows what it is or what it means. The VPN creates an encrypted tunnel between your device and the VPN server through which all data is routed.
Are VPNs Foolproof?
Not quite. If you come up against a determined hacker, they will find a way to go around whatever protocols are in place. A VPN won't protect you if you download ransomware, or if you are tricked into giving your data to third parties.
VPNs, however, are the best protection you have against mass data collection and spying. You know how hackers sometimes download data belonging to hundreds of thousands of users and sell it on? You are protected from that if you have a VPN because they cannot access your data.
NordVPN is also your best bet against advertisers who want to collect your information so that they can bombard you with ads at a later date. They are not able to see who you are or where you are located.
NordVPN is also excellent for accessing geo-blocked TV content. Sometimes you want to watch a show on a channel like Netflix but when you try to stream it, you are blocked because you are in the wrong region. Because a VPN masks your IP address Netflix servers cannot tell where you are, and you can access any content you want. It works the same way for torrenting. NordVPN has specific servers set aside for torrenting that will keep you secure and ensure that your details stay private.
Why Choose NordVPN?
- NordVPN has a large number of servers which makes it reliable and fast. The servers are in more than 50 countries around the world, making this VPN accessible from any corner of the globe.
- It assigns dedicated IPs which are useful in keeping your location and data anonymous. Your ISP knows exactly where you are and what sites you visit because they can track your IP address. With NordVPN, each time you go online you are assigned a random IP address; no one can see where you are or what you're doing.
- NordVPN is absolutely no-logs, and they carry out independent audits from time to time to reassure users. These audits are available on their website for those who are interested.
- NordVPN is the fastest VPN there is today. All VPNs will slow down your internet connection to a certain degree. What matters, when you are choosing, is by how much a VPN throttles your connection. With NordVPN you will hardly notice the difference. Fast speed also comes in handy when you are streaming content or torrenting.
- The VPN has a kill switch to prevent IP and DNS leaks.
- NordVPN has a unique feature called Double VPN. Instead of connecting through just one server you connect through two servers giving you double the protection.
- You can connect NordVPN to many different types of devices, and it works for a variety of platforms.
NordVPN is the way to go for anyone who is looking for online protection for all their devices. It is affordable, and with thousands of servers across dozens of locations it offers speeds unbeatable speeds.
The software comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you aren't impressed you are entitled to a full refund.